Friday, October 17, 2008

Ice plant (Carpobrotus edulis)

(Pic from Wikipedia Commons.)

Ice plant is truly digusting raw, but can be thinly sliced and pickled - and is not too bad that way.

I've also received this great advice from Greg Bennett of the NZ Dunes Trust:
When the flower dies off, pick the receptacle, and carefully squeeze it. A pinkish liquid will ooze out - this is very sweet and delicious, you will be addicted!!

Ice plant links:
Blog post about coastal foraging
Plants for a Future database
Google Images

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The "fig" at the bottom of the flower can be picked when ripe and made into a delicious jam, which I'm told is nice with blue cheese on crackers.

I got this idea from a friend from South Africa, where the recipe is traditional and known as Sour Fig Jam.

[Let me know if you'd like more information on how to do this - took me some trial and error. Please take only what you need, of course!]

Johanna Knox said...

hi Dawn - wow - yes - I would love some more info on this! I'll email you!